Quantcast XP Math - Forums - View Single Post - Algebra. How is it useful in everyday life?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010   #10
jmw106462

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiexm View Post
Algebra can be used everyday. From deciding which cell phone plan to use or which Netflix plan to sign up for... (write a set of simultaneous equation and solve to figure out exactly how many minutes you'd have to talk to justify signing up for plan B...)How about finances? You can use equations to figures out how much interest you would earn with different interest rates or different amounts of money. Or how much you would need in a 401K now to end up with the amount of money you'll need for retirement... And on the flip side, wouldn't it be nice to go on a website that discusses a stock's performance and be able to understand what it's saying... Be able to interpret the graphs, understand what the percentages mean...And journalism could use more folks who know algebra. Have you done regression and slope ****ysis in your class? Ever read an article that says home sales are dropping an average of ____ per year? Where do you think they got that? I think journalism would be better in general if they used more math, data,and ****ysis to back up what they were saying. The use of ****ysis, charts, graphs, ... has been lost lately, and I think it's a shame. It really takes away from the credibility of the reporting.I could go on forever, but I'll spare you. But I think you use Math more than you realize!
Math is the important subject. Ok so? If your at the store and Total is 56.96 and you give them 70.00 you need to know how much money you need to get back. That's where Math comes in! That's why you need to learn math.

ty,jmw106462