Quantcast Do you believe our known universe contains any 'real' infinities other... - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-26-2007   #1
Neon Lokey

Default Do you believe our known universe contains any 'real' infinities other...

...than those found in mathematics? Can anything 'real' be infinite or can infinity exist only in abstract? Do you believe that the universe is infinite or finite?

Old 07-26-2007   #2
Marlon

I believe space/time is infinite, probably because of my human insecurities about it ever stopping, I mean, how could it?

Old 07-26-2007   #3
Hunter Y

Yes. Black holes have infinite mass.

Old 07-26-2007   #4
Michael C

I would say that is impossible to know for sure. If something is considered infinite I am pretty sure no one is going to be able to hang around long enough to make sure. The Universe itself may not be infinite so I am sure that would also put a damper on that Idea. but in all probability there are many universes. Which means its possible somewhere. So I would say yes and no.

Old 07-26-2007   #5
r u randy?

Our known universe is likely just a very tiny portion of its reality... I suspect the universe is infinite. At the very least, it's matter occupies an infinite space and that space, although it is nothingness, cannot be thought of as not being of the universe.Space is real and space can be infinitely large of small. Energy is real and energy can be infinitely weak or strong. Likewise, mater can meet the same conditions as the two just considered. But of these three, I would conclude that only space can realistically be thought of as infinite.As for infinity within the portion of the universe we have access to: think small and then think smaller and then think infinitely smaller yet. I suggest to you that you have just found, theoretically of course, the infinity within our known universe that you've just asked about.[][][] r u randy? [][][].POST SCRIPT: To Michael C (one answer up). Don't be silly. There are NOT "many universes" ... that idea is completely absurd by definition. ...LOL... You speak like a man who hasn't the first idea of what toilet paper is used for.Universe means "all of everything,""everything that exists anywhere." It is impossible to meet the condition that "everything" does not include "everything."Go try your luck in the "teen with acne" section where you belong..

Old 07-26-2007   #6
Ymmo

there's a very simple one: a length of any coast is theoretically infinite. I'm sure you've heard of the example where you measure coastline first in a straight line, you get number a, then you measure all the gulfs and bays, you get a bigger number, then all the nooks and bends, it's bigger again, then all the rocks... bigger again...Down to grains of sand and shells... Every step further you take, the coast will be longer.