Quantcast Probability Performance Problem? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-02-2007   #1
D P

Default Probability Performance Problem?

I have an exam tomorrow, thats why I am asking these questions, to understand how to solve them...QuestionSuppose that the Buffalo and Toronto face each other in a playoff. In this best-of-three series, the winner is the first team to win two games. The first game is played in Toronto, the second in Buffalo, and if necessary, the third back in Toronto. The consensus among experts is that Toronto has a 60% chance of winning at home and a 35% chance of winning in Buffalo.a) What is the probability of Toronto winning in two straight games?b) What are the odds against Buffalo winning the entire series, in either two "or" three games?-----------------(Please do not read this next part I am typing, unless you attempted the questions, because I don't want my method to influence your answers)This is what I did...a) (0.6)(0.35) x 2 = 0.42b) 1- { 0.40 x 0.65 + 0.4 x 0.65 x 0.4) 0.634...odds: 0.634: 0.364Hey blah, hmm I have a strong feeling your second one is right, but the first one I am not too sure. The first one I don't think you have to add, and it is more of a multiplication question. But I could be wrong.Hmm, I guess you're right.. I really appreciate it! Thanks sooo much for catching my mistakes too!Kaksi, your answer should be right. I made bad errors, but oh well, all is good now i hope.