Quantcast My daughter has trouble with simple math? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-24-2007   #1
Tom A

Default My daughter has trouble with simple math?

She is 12 years old and she sometimes has trouble with the most simple of math problems. What could be causing this?
Old 07-24-2007   #2
Adam T

Lack of belief and lack of understanding how mathematic works. She is 12 years old, so best thing to do, is be creative.Use images, use anything in your house, make mathematics fun to get across the mathematic symbols, and when you add or subtract.Make it fun, get her excited about it and looking forward to do maths. I was like that when I was young but I had to make it exciting myself.
Old 07-24-2007   #3
jewelrygal_christine

dyslexia causing her trouble?maybe she needs flash cardsor a simple computer software game program to help her learn in a fun environment?
Old 07-24-2007   #4
nickinata

just ask her if there is a reason like stress that is making it hard but be gentle so it isn't like u r saying it like there is something wrong with her or something
Old 07-24-2007   #5
spiksander

I used to have such problems, it was due to the fact that I usually looked for complicated solutions, even when there was a simple solution. Practicing solved this for me. I'm not an expert in this field, I' m sorry I cannot help you, but I would suggest making sure that she knows how to apply the mathematical theories into practise. Sometimes I noticed that although I knew about the theory and such, I did not know how to apply them and solve the problem. I remember myself staring at very simple problems.Practise makes perfect!Excuse my english, I hope I wrote an understandable answer :-S
Old 07-24-2007   #6
Kristen M

www.jumpmath.orgThis is a really fantastic program that believes that all students can succeed in math. They use really unique approachs to math that can help students that think differently than the average student.The creator did a presentation at my University and I was really impressed with the passion he has for math and for students, give it a look.
Old 07-24-2007   #7
Noni M

if learning disabilities have been ruled out, it may be poor self-image. if a person believes they aren't good at math or are afraid others will think they aren't good at math, they may perform poorly. this can happen even with people that are above average at any age.
Old 07-24-2007   #8
micah d

It's because math doesn't interest her, probably because earlier in her schooling math was confusing and the concept was hard for her to grasp.It is never too late to turn things around! =)Help her with math homework, I know this from personal experience. I always feel ****** asking questions in front of the whole class, or staying after school to ask my teacher. My parents helped me a lot, because I felt comfortable with them.
Old 07-24-2007   #9
Beth

I had this problem -- and still do, even though I've completed college and am now heading towards a masters!As it turned out, I had a learning disability .. go figure! Unfortunately, I discovered it when I was about 19 or 20, too late then ... and that was about 25 years ago!What happened to me, I developed all kinds of little "tricks" to help me though. Your daughter is lucky, she has calculators! I would go talk to your school and get her tested ... even if she doesn't have a learning disability per se, a lot of the little tricks they teach can be really helpful.One of my tricks is now standard ... called Touch Math. Here's a link.http://www.coleman.k12.wi.us/StaffWe...h_math.htmGood luck! It's not fatal, but getting your daughter better skills now will be really helpful!