Quantcast Explain Differential Calculus with words!? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-24-2007   #1
Doo.ri

Default Explain Differential Calculus with words!?

Tell the big picture about Differential Calculus which encompassed all the things that this subject has.Make it as memorable momento!You could put 2 or 3 formula or examples which make the fundamental of Differential Calculus.10 pts. for good or detailed or extensive answer.
Old 07-24-2007   #2
tlzkakfn t

http://www.lostsaga.com/common/remai...544ba3646click on the link and look at the top of left side, click the first buttonthen you can get a lot of information.
Old 07-24-2007   #3
♥Chocoholic♥

One word: confusing.
Old 07-24-2007   #4
jake

Differential means find the difference which means subtract the area under the curve!
Old 07-24-2007   #5
Arundhati Bakshi

Differential Calculus is a generalization of the "slope" concept in algebra. It deals with slopes or *rates* of all kinds. Any time you have a problem that changes values over time, you will often want to know what that rate of change is in any given situation. This rate of change is called the "derivative."Although this may not seem like that profound or important a notion at first, think of it this way. Dollars per hour (wages), miles per gallon (gas mileage), kilowatts per hour (energy usage), megabits per second (bandwidth), etc. are all rates, or derivatives. To predict future yields or calculate using these rates, you need differential calculus.
Old 07-24-2007   #6
Ray A

A memorable momento to the love of my lifeTo my darling Doo . . so beautiful in her 10kb shotHow could such a cartoon be so hotCalculus differentiates but not a love as oursYet we cannot be until my story tells ...You see things get quickerWith that you can't bickerBut how much quicker, do they get quicker, my loveTis then that we use a formula aboveBut loeThe rhyme is a woeI need to put this formula .... belowIF one knows that a stoneWill be by itself alonejust x cubed (x^3) yards awayAnd there it will never stay ... (ok that struggled)Then how fast is it moving at the mo ... (now I really stretch)You need to send your mind to fetchThe three from above the exAnd place it before the ..... variable (whoah I could have been banned for that)And as nothing in your brain is spared It is moving at 3 x squared (3x^2)But how much my loveDoes this stone get shovedAs it accelerates all the timeWe know were it goesAnd we know how it froesBut to know this would be sublime ... (oh come on that was a hard one)By how much speed does it increaseAs it moves alongThat wonder will never ceaseUntil we're done with this songWe must now take the 2 from the xand times three it makes .... SIXso it accelerates at just 6xNow which of your problems is next ....Not good but it might be memorable!! Good luck
Old 07-24-2007   #7
Kes

The concept is relatively easy. If you place a straight line on the circumference of a circle, it must be a tangent. It is not so easy if the curve is not regular but rather arbitrary. You could place the line at some point on the curve and estimate its position to be exactly tangent. You could then draw a right triangle with three points (one on the straight line and two on the curve). As the triangle is made smaller and smaller, it will force the line to be more exactly a tangent to the curve. As the triangle becomes vanishingly small (by mathematics) the limit of the lines position is in fact a tangent to the curve. Often, the tangent to a curve can represent an instantaneous slope (or ratio) that is useful (to scientists or engineers). For example the slope may represent distance traveled relative to time which of course is velocity. Differentiating such a curve at any given point on the curve could represent the momentary velocity of a racket on a nonlinear path. Differentiating a new curve representing all the velocities (change of velocity with time) represents acceleration (and therefore momentary force due to g's, etc.). The formulas are in books, but it is good to know what it is all about first.

www.ma.utexas.edu
Old 07-24-2007   #8
darrenfoong1

Differential calculus?Best thing ever in maths.