Quantcast Algebra. How is it useful in everyday life? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-17-2007   #1
Dan H

Default Algebra. How is it useful in everyday life?

My college algebra professor always says "this is the most important stuff you will learn in your entire life, so listen closely". My major is Journalism and I think the only time I will ever have to use math is when I am figuring out my check book balance and doing my taxes. Disagree/Agree? Provide Reasons.
Old 07-17-2007   #2
Cassandra S

I completely agree with you.I want to be a journalist someday too.Algebra to me is a complete waste of time,although geometry is another story.Well, I guess the more knowledge you have,the more it will help you in some occassions.
Old 07-17-2007   #3
centretek666

Mathematics is the most important subject you will ever learn.Math describes how everything in your environment works.Math allows you to measure and predict.Without mathematics your highest qualification will be 'house trained'.
Old 07-17-2007   #4
yasd

I have wondered that myself basic math yes but word problems etc not once has my boss came in and said train a is going 60 miles per hour and train b is going 40 miles per hour when will they collide.
Old 07-17-2007   #5
wushuboy001

AgreeI cant think of where algebra would be used in journalism on a daily basis. But that doesn't mean you wont see it when you get there. Plus, the more you know about everything in journalism, the better you are prepared to cover any story. However, unless you have someone pulling strings for you, don't expect to jump right out of college and be a successful journalist. (Great if you are, but thats far from true for most.) Although you might like journalism now, you might change career paths in the future. Talk to anyone who graduated college, you really never know where life is going to bring you. Algebra is in just about every field. Anything involving computers and networking will use algebra intensly. Anything involving construction, or putting things together will involve agebra. You will see practical applications for algebra if you work as a newspaper layout editor. If you are going to be successful in the career market, algebra is probably one of the top skills.Chances are you won't need intense algebra, however if it is a weak area for you, that is all the more reason to learn more and make it a strong point.
Old 07-17-2007   #6
RobNyack

disagree. I used to think that too...but, as you get into the world, you will learn that everything you learn helps you become a more well-rounded person.How limited of a human being would you be if all you knew had soley to do with journalism? How interesting of a human being would you be if all you knew was journalism? How would you know if there was something else out there that sparked you interest in life if all you did was study journalism?It all helps....and by the way knowing how to balance your checkbook and manage your finances....not something to act like it's not important.
Old 07-17-2007   #7
shipdada

You teacher is absolutely right, algebra can be used in daily life and you cannot run away from maths if you want success in your life so pay as much attention as you can and learn with interest, algebra is fun, trust me.Let me give you a simple but interesting example,I was few years back in a situation where a property value was to be divided into four people but as per the condition the youngest person gets the half of what each of other gets, means if other 3 are getting $4000 then youngest gets $2000, so how the property is to be divided?Now I was and am a big maths fan so I solved that using algebra, check this out,Suppose the property value is $78350 and 'x' is the cut of each person, now here is how it goes,x + x + x + x / 2 = 78350(note that three 'x' are 3 people and 'x/2' is the youngest person who is getting half of other people), that's it !! just solve 'x' and you have the answer,3x + x / 2 = 78350(6x + x) / 2 = 783506x + x = 1567007x = 156700x = 22385.71So each person gets $22385.71Lets verify that,= 22385.71 + 22385.71 + 22385.71 + 22385.71/2= 78349.99Enjoy !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2007   #8
answerING

Well, sadly many people have your perspective on math.However, your college algebra prof may have overstated when he said, "...the MOST important stuff..." (emphasis mine).When you consider how many persons tend to misuse their credit lines (paying those exorbitant interest rates), and how many DO NOT know how to balance their checkbooks I think it's some testament to why we as a nation are mathematically lagging several other countries. I will grant that some of the problems posed in algebra seem like Harry Potter's dilemmas -- quite far fetched and impractical -- but the truth is that algebra is not much more than arithmetic expanded to the point where you don't have to do trial and error to get an answer. If you view it from that perspective and overlook the outdated nature of some of the problems' data, then you'll recognize that indeed math deserves a place in your career; and the more competent you can become with it the better you'll be able to competently manage your life.This is more to encourage your paying attention and working at the subject; indirectly it also refutes your current attitude toward math. If you choose to live narrowly in -- I'm going to call it "ignorant bliss" -- you'll be choosing to be a potential victim to Ponzi schemes and payday lenders (which you may be required to WRITE ABOUT anyway); so even tho a victim perspective might be as interesting to read about as an authority's perspective, which would be your choice? ...victim or authority?I say stick with it; work at doing algebra well. Keep looking for applications/pertinence dispite outdated textbooks. Your prof is just trying to get your attention; give him credit for at least being enthusiastic about his work.
Old 07-17-2007   #9
katiexm

Algebra can be used everyday. From deciding which cell phone plan to use or which Netflix plan to sign up for... (write a set of simultaneous equation and solve to figure out exactly how many minutes you'd have to talk to justify signing up for plan B...)How about finances? You can use equations to figures out how much interest you would earn with different interest rates or different amounts of money. Or how much you would need in a 401K now to end up with the amount of money you'll need for retirement... And on the flip side, wouldn't it be nice to go on a website that discusses a stock's performance and be able to understand what it's saying... Be able to interpret the graphs, understand what the percentages mean...And journalism could use more folks who know algebra. Have you done regression and slope ****ysis in your class? Ever read an article that says home sales are dropping an average of ____ per year? Where do you think they got that? I think journalism would be better in general if they used more math, data,and ****ysis to back up what they were saying. The use of ****ysis, charts, graphs, ... has been lost lately, and I think it's a shame. It really takes away from the credibility of the reporting.I could go on forever, but I'll spare you. But I think you use Math more than you realize!
Old 03-03-2010   #10
jmw106462

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiexm View Post
Algebra can be used everyday. From deciding which cell phone plan to use or which Netflix plan to sign up for... (write a set of simultaneous equation and solve to figure out exactly how many minutes you'd have to talk to justify signing up for plan B...)How about finances? You can use equations to figures out how much interest you would earn with different interest rates or different amounts of money. Or how much you would need in a 401K now to end up with the amount of money you'll need for retirement... And on the flip side, wouldn't it be nice to go on a website that discusses a stock's performance and be able to understand what it's saying... Be able to interpret the graphs, understand what the percentages mean...And journalism could use more folks who know algebra. Have you done regression and slope ****ysis in your class? Ever read an article that says home sales are dropping an average of ____ per year? Where do you think they got that? I think journalism would be better in general if they used more math, data,and ****ysis to back up what they were saying. The use of ****ysis, charts, graphs, ... has been lost lately, and I think it's a shame. It really takes away from the credibility of the reporting.I could go on forever, but I'll spare you. But I think you use Math more than you realize!
Math is the important subject. Ok so? If your at the store and Total is 56.96 and you give them 70.00 you need to know how much money you need to get back. That's where Math comes in! That's why you need to learn math.

ty,jmw106462