Quantcast Doing Mathematics is more of a creative activity than a logical activity?? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-24-2007   #1
mad_integer

Default Doing Mathematics is more of a creative activity than a logical activity??

Please either support or discuss or argue the statement : "Mathematics is more of a creative activity than a logical activity"Could you also please provide some examples to support your arguement? Please help me guys..this work of mine is just due tomorrow. And its already 11 in the night here. I just did not get time to do this work and cant think an inch right now. Pleaseeeee help me. Thanks a lot in advance to everyone who'll be answering.
Old 07-24-2007   #2
rarhodes001

Mathematics is what I consider to be a "grey area" as far as description is concerned. It has both creative and logical elements. If you fail to accept one aspect or the other, it kind of weakens the science behind it.
Old 07-24-2007   #3
vercetti

Mathematics is one of a kind. i.e. it has both creative and logical thinking.One example of logical is that you have to think a lot. You should hav creativity to do that and viceversa.
Old 07-24-2007   #4
joe m

Doing Mathematics... I would say it is a logical activity that often times requires creativity. The foundation of Mathematics is logic. You must be able to present your arguments in a clear and concise manner. When the time comes for you to choose to be creative in math, you are making a choice, but you will never have the choice to NOT BE LOGICAL and still be correct within a mathematical context. To put it logically: There exist some situations in mathematics that require creativity.For every mathematical situation, the requirement for logic is present.Understand that many times being creative will facilitate math, so it is helpful, but not always needed.Now if you are applying mathematics... I'll let someone who does that for a living address this (too hard for me).
Old 07-24-2007   #5
gugliamo00

Mathematics is a mental discipline. It teaches one to use one's mind to logically handle esoteric problems that are far outside the scope of the average individual. The study of math improves objectivity. In mathematics, the process is to apply the proper set of rules to a specific problem. If these rules are applied understandingly, and correctly, it doesn't make any difference who works out the problem, they will all always get the same answer. An argument might made for creativity in finding the right set of rules to apply. I disagree. The rules are there. One either knows them, or one doesn't. Newton didn't create the laws of gravity and motion. They always existed. He just discovered them. But the student of mathematics seldom discovers anything new. He seldom has the opportunity. He may discover new applications for rules, but that is not creativity. That is merely application.The rules in mathematics are invariable. They don't depend on culture, geography, or any of the other factors affecting the speculative theories of the pseudo-sciences.Unlike some subjects, it has discrete answers. In business, psychology, education, sociology, or any other "pseudo-science," everything is speculative. Experiments and studies may have discrete results, but the application of a theory based on the results of test on a small sample to a global population is rather obtuse.These pseudo-sciences seem to value the ability to "think outside the box." People who study mathematics stretch their minds so that eventually there is no box, or perhaps that it has become so large as to obviate the need to think outside of it.As an undergraduate in math, I solved a problem that was considered too difficult for anybody in the class to solve. To prove that I'd arrived at the solution honestly, I was required to do the proof before the Math Department Chair, my academic advisor, and the professor who assigned the problem. But there were almost half a dozen other professors who sat in to see how I'd arrived at the answer.My efforts were not creative. At best, they were trial and error. Granted, my guesses were more or less "educated," but the solution was based on the same set of rules that was available to all the other students in the class. I will accept that my approach might have been innovative. But something that might be considered innovative, is not, at least to me, creative, it is discovery. After it's discovery, it can be repeated precisely by everybody.Something "created" is unique. It was never done before, and it cannot be created again in the future. It may be mechanically reproduced, but there is only one "original."It might be said that "discovery" can only occur once. I contend that is false. I learned a lot of stuff in math. Most of it has been forgotten due to disuse. But I have a book. I go to that book and "rediscover" stuff I need to handle a particular problem. The rules are there. They always were there. I just know, now, where to look for them.In the future. wen you get an assignment like this. the first weekend after you get it, spend about 10 hours in the largest library you can find, and I don't mean online, researching the subject. It develops good study and research skills. And you don't get stuck at midnight praying for somebody to do your work for you.