Quantcast Math and science classes for Optometrists? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-06-2007   #1
lady_katie101

Default Math and science classes for Optometrists?

I was just wondering what classes an Optometrist would have to take. I was wanting specifics....I know they need to probably major in biology or chemistry, and that they need to be proficient in math, science, and physics. Does anyone know the hardest classes in math and science that one would have to take to become an Optometrist?
Old 08-06-2007   #2
aj.sarabia

Here is the website for the University of Houston Optometry program.http://www.opt.uh.edu/academics/od/
Old 08-06-2007   #3
crazycatlady

Requirements for admission to schools of optometry include courses in English, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. A few schools also require or recommend courses in psychology, history, sociology, speech, or business. Because a strong background in science is important, many applicants to optometry school major in a science such as biology or chemistry, while other applicants major in another subject and take many science courses offering laboratory experience. Applicants must take the Optometry Admissions Test, which measures academic ability and scientific comprehension. Admission to optometry school is competitive. As a result, most applicants take the test after their sophomore or junior year, allowing them an opportunity to take the test again and raise their score. A few applicants are accepted to optometry school after 3 years of college and complete their bachelor’s degree while attending optometry school.

www.bls.gov