Quantcast what is meant by applied mathematics? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-26-2007   #1
eshdgr8

Default what is meant by applied mathematics?

what are the subjects covered by applied mathematics.
Old 07-26-2007   #2
ferdie

Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that concerns itself with the mathematical techniques typically used in the application of mathematical knowledge to other domains.Today, the term applied mathematics is used in a much broader sense. It includes the classical areas of ****ysis such as differential equations, as well as linear algebra, numerical ****ysis, probability, operations research, and other areas. Recently, fields such as number theory and topology, often thought to be pure mathematics, have become increasingly important as applications, though they are not generally considered to be part of the field of applied mathematics per se.
Old 07-26-2007   #3
DougF

Applied mathematics deals with mathematical techniques used in other areas, eg physics, engineering, statistics, computing, etc. You would need to consult the course notes or curriculum for specifics on what is covered, but the traditional subjects include differential calculus, approximation theories and applied statistics. The line is probably blurring now with greater emphasis on operations research and mathematical techniques in computing become more important.
Old 07-26-2007   #4
pbb1001

When people look for someone in applied mathematics, they might be looking for people with experience in:a) Partial Differential Equations, which, we might say, forms the backbone of applied mathematicsb) stochastic partial differential equations, which has applications in finance and economics, and the physical sciencesc) mathematicians who have studied some specific subject, like fluid mechanics (has a lot of problems for applied mathematicians)d) newer sources of problems are in biology and bio-medical applications.Are you thinking of going into applied math? Good luck!
Old 07-26-2007   #5
susie

Really -I have only done this once on here.But I am lookin to get out of a really rotten mood so its you I'm gonna do it to! I am safe because all the other nice math people are right behind me to answer you correctly. : )Applied Mathematics:they can be -those magnetic numbers that the kids stick on the fridge and leave marks for you to clean off.OR they can be the bath tub toy numbers from Sesame Street that stick on the wall at bath time!!!WELL, you can't say I was ALL wrong : )Thanks, I feel better!
Old 07-26-2007   #6
mikewofsey

The best definition is an obtuse one ...Applied mathematics is essentially indistinguishable from theoretical physics.Applied mathematics uses the wide precepts, theories and teachings of all areas of math to examine potentially real-life problems. 'Real-Life' could mean the Big Bang, black holes, spherical packing, epidemiology, gravitation, some esoteric phenomenon of your shoelaces, etc..Applied mathematics differs from theoretical math in that theoretical math is concerned with problems that do not necessarily have any application to real life. A theoretical math problem might be a topology proof, a prime-number proof, etc.. While theoretical math can be applied to real-life problems, that is usually a secondary result, rather than a primary goal. The primary goal of applied math, on the other hand, is to use math to explain physical processes.