Quantcast If I am bad at math, should I take AP Physics B or AP Statistics? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-25-2007   #1
Maria C

Default If I am bad at math, should I take AP Physics B or AP Statistics?

If I am bad at math, should I take AP Physics B or AP Statistics? I have only these two classes to choose from for next year. I am a junior and I have taken Pre-Calculus.

Old 07-25-2007   #2
Ari R

what do you mean by "bad at math", what did you get on the sat math?

Old 07-25-2007   #3
randypandy13

I took AP Physics B this year -- trust me, you're going to need a good math background. This class is more math than science. I'm not sure about AP Statistics, but I think you need a good math background too.

Old 07-25-2007   #4
Claire C

Did you die in Pre-Cal like I did? I'd definitely suggest Stats for anyone who is not confident in math. I had friends in AP Physics last year who were proficient in math and still struggled through it.I'd go for Stats, what's better than an easy AP?

Old 07-25-2007   #5
ElizM

I'd say take AP Stat; many colleges won't give you credit for Physics B, only for Physics C.

Old 07-25-2007   #6
Chez_DeVille

If you are bad at math, why would you take an AP class in Physics or Statsitics? Both of those use lots of math. AP classes are not a requirement to get into college.

Old 07-25-2007   #7
Puppy_Gold

The physics is all math. Have you already had a year of physics? In our district the AP science classes are 2nd year classes and even then they are quite challenging. I'm not sure why you "only have these two classes to choose from". If math is not your strong suit, you probably should not be taking either of of these classes. I see too many students, who feel like they are supposed to take a class, end up miserable and frustrated. Students should only take AP classes because they are ready for the material, not because it looks good on a college app. You'll end up with poor grades and that won't look good on your apps. Talk to your teachers and counselor. They will have a good idea from your past performance if either of these classes are suitable for your current abilities.