Quantcast Can someone with a learning disability in math become an English teacher? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-30-2007   #1
karmamama!

Default Can someone with a learning disability in math become an English teacher?

I'm thinking of getting a BA in English and becoming an English teacher, but have been diagnosed with a learning disability in math. I live in the state of Florida and understand that there are certain tests you are required to take (some involving math) in order to become a certified teacher. I'm wondering if those can be waived if I'm specializing in English. Anyone know?

Old 07-30-2007   #2
lbfigueira

If you put your mind into something u can always do it.People with learning disability in math can be great in Languages, in fact even people with learning disability in math can be great in math (but that´s another story).There are some basic math concepts that are always helpful in life and in teaching, but with time and more effort you will learn that concepts.

Old 07-30-2007   #3
the_ivy_vine

I'd definitely call the board of education or the people in charge of giving the test to find out your options. You never know until you get it from the horse's mouth. Especially if you have been diagnosed by a doctor. I'd also check into relocation, because I know that there are schools out there that are willing to work with people who could potentially be good teachers (and math usually has very little to do with English! I know, I'm an aspiring English teacher myself). Also, different states have different standards. However, the best advice I could give you would be to attack your learning disability head-on. Get a tutor, study for the test, get books at your local bookstore that give you helpful hints not only on the subject you need help on, but hints for test-taking as well. A learning disability is a challenge, not a show-stopper. I'm really glad you're looking into becoming a teacher. It seems to me that you'd definitely be able to connect with students, esp. those who may have given up bc they disabilities of their own. Kudos on the noble career choice! *wink*

Old 07-30-2007   #4
wizebloke

Maybe, then again, with a learning disability, you may have to try for President instead.Use that in your defence at the Education Board and good luck teaching English.

Old 07-30-2007   #5
anoldmick

Well, my father did it. He had to take exactly one college math class. He'd go to class, then that evening my mother would go over to the professor's house and he'd drum the day's lesson into her head and she'd come home and pound it into my father's head. Hey, that's how they described it; I was only four at the time. He managed to pass and go on to graduate from Oklahoma State. Then he taught English and other topics back on the Hopi and Zuni reservations. I can't imagine it'd be all that much harder today - even in Florida.