Quantcast Looking for statistics on homicide arrests versus convictions...? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-25-2007   #1
Shane M

Default Looking for statistics on homicide arrests versus convictions...?

I am doing a study and was wondering if anyone might know where I could find statistical records on US (as a whole or by state) homicides (regardless of whether or not arrests were made) vs the number of convictions associated with them. Obviously, the more recent the data the better, but I will take what I can get. Not having any luck with federal or state court records, plenty of individual data but I am needing a compilation over a period of time. Any ideas?Susan - That is exactly what I am looking for, convictions vs homicide rate. So, in a given area (the larger the better), there were x many homicides in y amount of time (also the larger the better). How many homicide convictions were there in the same area during the same time span? And in this case I am defining "homicide" as murder. I need nothing specific to a given case, no names or specific dates, so hopefully that will help with the data acquisition. Good suggestions here, keep 'em coming!
Old 07-25-2007   #2
namelark

O,so you want to know the odds before doing away with that annoying Mother inlaw ,aaaaah
Old 07-25-2007   #3
schazjmd

Doesn't seem to be easy to find, but this person's research paper covering a wider scope may at least assist you with some leads by examining his citations: http://tinyurl.com/3djw25
Old 07-25-2007   #4
age_of_sail

The odds you're gonna get caught are high, very high. Just pay the darn divorce settlement
Old 07-25-2007   #5
becksbear

That will require a lot of research on your part, and this type information is not posted on the Internet. Even if you find statistics as for as this crime, you may not be able to obtain the criminal records associated with this, as these are not public records. You might check with your local mayor and see if someone can at least help with this, but as a private citizen, the information you will be able to get is very limited, as it should be, as some of these cases could still be pending and investigated and no cop or district attorney will expose their investigation and case like this.
Old 07-25-2007   #6
i'm susan

i'm guessing this is for a college assignment? have you checked with your professors for hints of where to look for the info? have there been any previous studys of this sort that are well researched and that you can use as a reference for your numbers? it almost sounds like you are looking for such a large/vague amount of data, there may not be any. try narrowing down your search. you could also try looking at this as 2 separate issues. 1 issue is homicide rates per state1 issue is convictioin rate per state (are you going to count manslaughter, murder, criminal negligence resulting in death? etc? what is the definition of conviction of homicide you want the numbers for?)once you gather the data for each issue for each state, start combining the data through mathmatical formulas (statistics is so much fun.....not) state courts are going to be quicker to access than federal. and they really should be considered separate issues.also, how can you look at number of convictions associated with a homicide v. homicide reguardless of arrest..........are you saying you are looking at conviction v. homicide rate? convictions only come from arrests (misdemeanors are the only charges you can be convicted of without having to be arrested depending on the charge)post convition records (as in, was the person conviced and date of conviction) is public record, however, a $$ fee may be assessed for access to the computer system holding the data) BUT records of open cases are NOT public record.good luck!
Old 07-25-2007   #7
Root Worker

Try this link......

www.fbi.gov