Quantcast Should I take precalculus without taking college algebra? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-30-2007   #1
I MISS YOU!

Default Should I take precalculus without taking college algebra?

I was supposed to register for college algebra first, and I did for the summer in order to take precalculus during the fall. They cancelled my summer class so now I'm only registrered for the precalculus class but I'm wondering do you think they'll find out and kick me out? What are the chances?
Old 07-30-2007   #2
U Penn 2011

If you're good in math and you like it, you should go ahead and take pre-calculus anyway. Chances are they won't kick you out, and if they try, explain the situation. In my high school, students would take pre-calculus right after advanced algebra and they did fine. I wasn't too fond of math and took college algebra instead which was a big waste of time bc the teacher didn't really teach and I didn't really learn anything. However, if your school has a good college algebra teacher and you believe that taking college algebra will help you, then take college algebra during the year.
Old 07-30-2007   #3
Muaranah

Precalculus is college algebra plus trigonometry. Only take it if you will need to take a full calculus sequence. If you only need college algebra or applied (business) calculus, just take college algebra, unless you want to do more work.