Quantcast Quick mental math techniques? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-05-2007   #1
JackofAlltrades

Default Quick mental math techniques?

I am taking a timed standardized test shortly (MCAT), it is very chemistry and physics heavy. The calculations are not difficult, but I am not allowed a calculator and I need to think very quickly. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ways to "think" about a problem for quick mental math. I'll give a couple examples: something like (0.30/8) or (1200/0.6) or (.9)^3 or (.30)^.5 My problem in mainly in thinking about decimal divisions and squares QUICKLY.great answers so far, I should have mentioned I only need to "estimate" as the multiple choice responses are generally rounded.
Old 08-05-2007   #2
sherzad k

On a division:remove the decimal and add zeros to a none decimal number then divide. when you finished put the decimal back to the result, number must be smaller than the original. On multification, multiply as of the decimal does not exist when you done then plug the decimal back to the number and it has to be larger that the original. to remember things during the exam, now look at the roof of you leaving room an with one eye twisted to left and count how many windows are in your houss and then do same thing to right eye and find out which side is faster and more correct. that is where your brain stores information's. It will work.