Quantcast If BMI is such a flawed system, then why are obesity statistics based on it?.? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-21-2007   #1
smilingfrown

Default If BMI is such a flawed system, then why are obesity statistics based on it?.?

They say 60% of Americans are obese, yet this is according to BMI. A BMI of over 25 is classified as overweight and a BMI of over 30 is obese. Yet I know plenty of people with BMI's over 25 and 30 who have healthy levels of body fat.I do realise on the other hand, there may be people with a healthy BMI, yet still be carrying to much body fat and this may balance figures out somewhat, but I get the feeling that the 60% figure may well be somewhat exaggerated.I'd like to see doctors start checking patients body fat percentages and see how this affects the obesity statistics. It would be interesting to know whether the number would stay the same or go up or down.Yes, I've heard waist measurement and waist/hip ratio is a much better predictor of obesity than BMI.Very true Cara, especially Asian people.