Quantcast I have maths coursework due in tomorow on BEYOND PYTHAGORAS can anyone help me? .LP? - XP Math - Forums
XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Welcome > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-04-2007   #1
juicy lucy

Default I have maths coursework due in tomorow on BEYOND PYTHAGORAS can anyone help me? .LP?

im really stuck on finding the formula for the area. and then i have to explain 'proving pythagoras'. i have no idea wot 2 do! please help me!! thanks!!.LP.
Old 08-04-2007   #2
cool2golf

i need more info on this one please......Area of triangle is cool........ = (base x height) / 2maybe pythagoras is used to calculate eithet the base or the height.......e-mail scfcboy2000@hotmail.co.uk if you cani'll try to help
Old 08-04-2007   #3
pardon_my_klatchian

area of a triangle = 1/2 x base x heightor area of triangle = 1/2 x side a x side b x sine of angle between themfor the pythagoras bit, I suggest you google it (proof of pythagoras's theorum)
Old 08-04-2007   #4
Author in Progress

a squared + b squared = c squaredthat's the pythagorean theorum. a.k.a. the formula for finding the hypotenuse of a right triangle. let me explain this with a couple of examples on figuring out the hypotenuse with this formula.say that a is 12 and b is 5.12 squared + 5 squared + c squared12 squared is 144, and 5 squared is 25144 + 25 = c squared144 + 25 = 169169 is the answer in squared form. therefore, you have to find the square root of 169.the square root of 169 is 13, since 13 times 13 is 169.that means that the sides are 12, 5, and the hypotenuse 13.prove this by saying that anytime that this formula is used, there will be a right triangle in order for the equation to be correct.give two sides of a triangle and use this formula to figure out the third. once the third side is found, draw out the lengths of each side, connecting them together, and you will have a perfect right triangle, aka a triangle with one ninety degree angle.
Old 08-04-2007   #5
CurlyQ

The square on the hypotenuse is equal to the SUM of the squares on the two remaining sides in ANY right angled triangle.Draw a triangle having sides of 3 4 and 5Project a square on all three sides.The area projected on the hypotenuse of 5 will be 25The area projected on the the two remaining sides will be 9 + !6 which equals the square on the hypotenuse.On the triangle drawn project a vertical and a horizontal line from the corners of the acute angles. This will form a rectangle having a base of 3 and a height of 4The total area will be 3 x 4 = 12The area of the triangle is seen to be half of this i.e. 6The area of a right angled triangle is given by 1/2 Base x Height
Old 08-04-2007   #6
wren

pythagoras is 4 finding a missing side when you have 2 measurements, the formula is a squared + b squared = c squared. this only works when c is the longest side also called the hypotenuse.