Quantcast Advanced The Man and The Tree - XP Math - Forums

XP Math Home Sign Up FREE! | Sign In | Classroom Setup | Common Core Alignment PDF Version

Go Back   XP Math - Forums > Mathematics > Math Challenges

Old 08-04-2010   #1
pineapple74

Default The Man and The Tree

There is a man who is 6 ft tall. He is 18 ft away from a mirror in which he can the top of the tree. The bottom of the tree is 252 ft away form the mirror. The man is looking into the mirror at 45 feet away in a diagonal line. The top of the tree is 135 feet away from the mirror. How tall is the tree?

Hint: Draw a diagram

First person to figure this out gets 50 points, the second gets 25 and third gets 10.

Mr. Hui if you know the answer and want to tell me just send me a private message.

Last edited by pineapple74; 09-25-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Old 09-13-2010   #2
Sirjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple74 View Post
There is a man who is 6 ft tall. He is 18 ft away from a mirror in which he can the top of the tree. The bottom of the tree is 252 ft away form the mirror. How tall is the tree?

First person to figure this out gets 50 points, the second gets 25 and third gets 10.

Mr. Hui if you know the answer and want to tell me just send me a private message.
"There is a man who is 6 ft tall. He is 18 ft away from a mirror in which he can ??? the top of the tree. The bottom of the tree is 252 ft away form the mirror. How tall is the tree?"

There seems to be missing WORDS between the lines...please repeat your statements.
Old 12-01-2010   #3
Lisasmith111

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple74 View Post
There is a man who is 6 ft tall. He is 18 ft away from a mirror in which he can the top of the tree. The bottom of the tree is 252 ft away form the mirror. The man is looking into the mirror at 45 feet away in a diagonal line. The top of the tree is 135 feet away from the mirror. How tall is the tree?

This looks like an interesting problem. However, as yet unsolved. Would it be possible to put a diagram so that it is clear what is happening here as I think people can't see the wood for the trees!

Lisa Smith

Old 12-02-2010   #4
peace out #1

the answer is X.y2 x3 I'm I right reply Mr. Hui
Old 12-03-2010   #5
Lisasmith111

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace out #1 View Post
the answer is X.y2 x3 I'm I right reply Mr. Hui
Could you explain how you got your answer?

LIsa Smith